First things first, I do not consider myself a food blogger. I do not design many recipes and I would consider myself an average cook. We all have different strengths, and anything kitchen related is not mine! However, I am a working mom. I am a superhero working mom that wants to feed her family delicious and healthy-ish meals. I am a working mom with virtually zero time during the week to focus on dinner preparation. In this season of life with three under three and two full time working parents, it often proves to be challenging to consistently prepare and cook family dinners. I am always on the hunt for dinner ideas for working moms like me that are easy, affordable, and healthy when possible.
We try out recipes and meal prep tips that I find along the way and keep the ones in our rotation that fit these three goals as best I can. I tweak things to fit our family preferences and build a list of go-to meals that my kids will actually eat that preserve a few extra minutes in our already crazy nighttime routine. Check out some of our favorite weeknight family dinner ideas for working moms that will help reclaim a little bit more time for the things that matter.
1. Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Thai Chicken– This recipe is so easy and so unique! You can serve with any kind of noodle and throw in any veggies you have in the fridge. Perfect for end of week veggies that need that need to be used and something that reheats for amazing leftovers!
2. Garlic-oil Sauteed Pasta With Broccoli– I discovered this recipe from Melissa D’Arabian and it is literally a staple in our home. A simple recipe that packs a ton of flavor and makes for a tasty way to eat broccoli. We make this as a weeknight main course as well as a killer side for other meals.
3. Crockpot Italian Chicken And Pasta– Another crockpot staple coming at you! This recipe is full of flavor and perfect for an easy, creamy, family favorite. This recipes combines cream cheese, chicken, Italian dressing, white wine, and a little spice. My kids love it, and I love that I can throw it in before work in the morning.
4. Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet– This recipe from Life Love Liz is incredible because it can be made in one pot and it is super healthy! We have changed it up with different meats like hot Italian sausage or ground chicken and its always delicious. I was skeptical initially because my kids’ are generally not turkey fans, but this one is always a hit!
5. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup– We eat homemade tacos almost every week, but when we want the taste of tacos without the time or mess this recipe is perfect! You can dress up this soup with any toppings you want (we love tortilla strips and salsa) and it is perfect for the colder months.
6. Coconut Chicken– In a house full of toddlers, chicken tenders rule. We enjoy trying different baked, grilled, and fried chicken recipes that mix up our routine and still please the whole family. One of our favorite chicken strip recipes is this crispy coconut chicken recipe. We make our own dipping sauce by combining apricot and sweet chili sauce and it is delicious! Coconut shrimp is another familiar favorite for seafood lovers.
7. Sweet Maple Chili- Chili is notorious for taking a long time to cook, but this sweet chili is perfect for a quick weeknight and still feels like a comfort food favorite. It is packed with protein, and only takes 30 minutes to cook. Eat it solo or mix with pasta for little ones!
8. Crockpot Herb Chicken And Potatoes– Another savory crockpot meal coming at you! This crockpot herb chicken and potatoes recipe is so easy to follow and makes the house smell amazing during the workday! Chicken and potatoes can be a staple, but the herbs in this recipe make for a delicious and unique weeknight meal.
9. Meat And Veggie Stir Fry– Every week we make a variation of a stir fry in our house because it is perfect for using what is on hand and easy to adapt! Our kids love rice with their meals and we use a variety of meats and veggies depending on our grocery haul that week. One of my go-to stir fry recipes is this chicken stir fry dish from Easy Weeknight Recipes. The sauce is delicious and the whole meal is ready in 20 minutes.
10. Chicken and Alfredo Pasta– We have some alfredo sauce lovers in this house, and instead of jarred sauce we found a recipe of our own that knocks it out of the park! This alfredo pasta recipe with Italian chicken is another crowd pleaser that you can whip up on a crazy weeknight without relying on premade.
As a working mom, our weeknight dinners are not fancy, complicated, or well-plated. But they keep us fed, happy, and sitting around the dinner table together. And I maintain my sanity between work and home when it comes to meals whenever I can. Which one are you going to add to your rotation?
All The Best,