Calling all upstate new york frans! Or anyone that enjoys a delicious chicken and pasta dish. I was introduced to this Chicken Riggies recipe by my first college roommate who hailed from Utica, New York. It was AMAZING and I asked her to make it for us every weekend. It has been part of our family meal rotation since then because it is a crowd pleaser and makes for great leftovers.
The foundation of this recipe is a spicy tomato parmesan sauce that makes for a great family meal, weekly lunches, freezer meals, or large Sunday sauce meals. The sauce can be used a base for adding extras such as seafood, veggies, or any other toppings you might prefer. The key ingredient is red hot cherry peppers which you can use to increase or decrease the spice level, and the sauce is easy to throw together even on busy nights.
2 lbs Rigatoni pasta cooked
2 ½ lbs boneless chicken
1 ½ sticks butter
2 red and/or green bell peppers chopped
6-8 hot red cherry peppers chopped (use the number of these based on your preferred spice level!)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon italian blend spices
1 can chicken broth (14 oz)
½ cup white wine
4 cloves minced garlic
¾ cup plain tomato sauce
1 large onion diced
Other veggies or seafood to mix in (optional)
- Dice chicken into ¾ inch pieces. Place chicken in a plastic bag with 1/2 cup flour and coat well.
- In a large pan melt butter and saute onions until translucent
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 hour
- Pour over cooked Rigatoni and toss
- Optional: I add in cooked peas to add in some more veggies for my girls. You can literally add any other veggies into the sauce!
Hopefully this chicken riggies recipe is a crowd pleaser for your family too!
All the best,